20 October 2008

No chestnuts :-(

I have been dreaming about chestnut season all summer long. And this past weekend was to be the highlight of my autumn because it was supposed to be the weekend of the giant chestnut festival in Lovran, which is near the beautiful seaside town of Opatija. Imagine my surprise when we drove all the way to Lovran only to find that there were NO CHESTNUTS! I don't mean that they were all eaten, or that we were too late to have any. NO. The story all up and down the coast is that it was too dry this summer and resulted in the chestnuts failing to grow.

So I don't have any wonderful pictures of giant yellow chestnuts roasting over hot coals. Or pictures of chestnut puree balanced beautifully on a spoon with a puff of whipped cream on top. Nope. Nope. Nope. I only have hope that Mother Nature will apply a bit of her green thumb to the chestnut harvest next year.

3 comments:

Viooltje said...

Can't believe it took me such a long time and so many roads less traveled by to find my way to your delightful blog. I guess I've never looked in the right places before ;-) Anyway, what a treat to find Zagreb Diaries written by an intriguing lady. Speaking of chestnuts, I haven't seen any in my 'secret' chestnut area either, but always thought some cheeky wench beat me to it. Nevertheless, I was rudely bombarded with over-sized chestnuts the other week while strolling through the Upper town...
Looking forward to exploring your great blog, and for more to come. Respect!


Btw totally loved that afghan !!!

Gabriella said...

If you find any edible giant chestnuts in the city...let me know!

And if you knit or crochet..let me know...maybe we can start a knitting group at one of the cafes! The afghan is half done, and I just started a new mohair/silk scarf....

Viooltje said...

No edible ones unfortunately... It takes a knitting thumb to create such lovely stuff, I for sure do not have one LOL I just love to wear them ;-)
Thanks for your visit over the Sava river to my garden, I use Olympus 550UZ. Hope you enjoyed the lovely weather so far, although it seems the Rain Fairy is about to visit us... Cheers!